YSL, one of the most influential fashion couturiers, and also subject of this incredibly stylish biopic.
Set in Paris, it shows brief episodes from his upbringing in French Algeria on preparation for his first show to his roller-coaster rise to fame, first at Christian Dior then to his own brand. It also showed us views into his private life, his relationship with his buisness partner and lover, Pierre Bergé; who braved Saint Laurent's numerous amount of gay affairs and stood by him through depression and stopped him from ruining his career.
Towards the end, all the events came together, the drugs, the depression, the affairs, and ended in a way that we weren't so suprised would happen. However I did enjoy that they used the authentic vintage pieces from the Saint Laurent archives, such as the 'Mondrian' dresses, which were shown at every possible moment.
Overall I think this is not a film everyone should be running to go watch, I think their aim was to reinvent and publicise the house of Saint Laurent, but what Yves did over the years, with reinvention could never match up.


No comments:
Post a Comment