I think we all knew when the theme for this year's Met Gala was announced- 'China: Through The Looking Glass' that it would be, as Kara Brown put it an 'Asian-themed shit show'. Based on the non-conformist paths the industry takes, many predicted that it would be a low point for celebrities, designers and humanity in general.
In this post I shall be presenting to you my worst dressed list:
In this post I shall be presenting to you my worst dressed list:
Disclaimer: Although you may be fond of what some celebrities wore, one does not mean offence, its just an expert's opinion.
Right from the very start we saw that many people had avoided the oriental theme full-stop, and frankly the looks they were producing were...equally boring!
If we look at the host of the event, Editor-in-chief of American Vogue's- Anna Wintour. I just want to scream 'why on earth are you wearing a dress you'd wear as a typical outfit of the day?' Just because she's increased the volume of her epaulettes to create sleeves, she therefore thinks this is acceptable...The shoes..do not even get me started on those shoes! 90s sling-back kitten heels, this is the Met red-carpet Anna, not Paris Hilton's Chihuahua funeral.
If we look at the host of the event, Editor-in-chief of American Vogue's- Anna Wintour. I just want to scream 'why on earth are you wearing a dress you'd wear as a typical outfit of the day?' Just because she's increased the volume of her epaulettes to create sleeves, she therefore thinks this is acceptable...The shoes..do not even get me started on those shoes! 90s sling-back kitten heels, this is the Met red-carpet Anna, not Paris Hilton's Chihuahua funeral.
Dolce & Gabbana deemed popular amongst the clearly fashion wary celebrities that donned the Met last night. My fellow readership, I have you know that I detest the work of the Domenico Dolce and Stephano Gabbana with an ABSOLUTE passion. (I'm sure you know my reasoning from a previous post) everything they produce is soul-destroyingly tacky, seemingly a match made in heaven, bringing that OTT Italian audacity into quite the opposite cultured theme. I can't bare to set my eyes on those golden tiaras a few girls sported. Saying this, at least they weren't quite as horrendous as supposedly next season's faux pas with a hybrid of the tiara, the tiara headphones -An utter monstrosity!
The Moschino duo- comprising of Katy Perry and Madonna, certainly hitting rock bottom last night. Both wearing horrendous graffiti-emblazoned gowns. I don't understand Madonna, she's wearing a black cape with her new album 'Rebel Heart' scratched into it, I mean talk about self-promotion but darling please. Also she's wearing those hideous leather fingerless gloves again, intervention needed.
Thank god Chloe Sevigny turned up, but wait.....oh how tragic. Kudos to her for actually embracing the theme with her Asian-embroidered gown from JW Anderson. However, the structure of the gown was baffling. We had a bow-shaped strapless line with low-hanging sleeves, combined with the look of bad tailoring, and just to top that all off, we had the complexity of the textures, from the array of traditional fabrics which coated the gown. I'm sure it looked incredible off (well it is JW Anderson, of course), but the whole thing was not at all flattering. It's a firm no from me.
I hated Chloe-Grace Moretz for one reason only, because she dated Brooklyn Beckham. Until last night, where another reason was pushed towards me. Her dress from Coach was a disaster! It looked so ill-fitting, the plunging V was in the wrong place, the lines were sharp therefore creating the fabric to fall in a box shape on the shoulders, and finally her dress had no trace of of the asiatic influences. Yawn-inducing.
Dakota Johnson, I'm afraid to say, is a waste of space. She is only recognised from her 'vivacious' (yawn) role in 50 Shades and because her mother is Melanie Griffith. Ok, ok, first time at the Met Gala but come on Dakota, Chanel Couture or not, one simply does not attend in a short cocktail dress; a short cocktail dress that bares no resemblance to anything oriental.
My best dressed list in contrast to this series of unfortunate fashions is miniscule. There were actually only a select handful that stole the show, the rest went from average to boring to an offense. I do hope you all check in on Saturday night for my best dressed. Until next time.
Picture courtesy of Style.com, Vogue.co.uk and vanityfair.com







No comments:
Post a Comment