It was all about the eighties at Topshop Unique last night. Think Melanie Griffith in Working Girl, masculine tailoring, crazy hair and hallucinative polka dots. What more could you wish for?
Alongside this eighties motif, Kate Phelan (creative director for Topshop) also extracted from every angle of Brit culture, supplying us with what one would assume was an unlikely mish-mash of looks for the upcoming Spring/Summer season.
We had a Topshop girl who attended the Bloomsbury Group garden parties by day and then delved into fanciful soirées at Studio 54 by night- sort of as if this said girl was borrowing her grandmother's vintage classics, however mitigating them to fit in with her eclectic and high-street wardrobe.
We had a Topshop girl who attended the Bloomsbury Group garden parties by day and then delved into fanciful soirées at Studio 54 by night- sort of as if this said girl was borrowing her grandmother's vintage classics, however mitigating them to fit in with her eclectic and high-street wardrobe.
From the rich faux-furs paired with leather cigarette trousers, or perhaps a gentrified 80s velveteen blazer over some playful strawberry-print Georgette shorts, to a delicate lace and chiffon dress with floral embroidery and maybe an addition of a pair of mismatching statement chandelier earrings. The styling for this collection was key and oh my did it pay off, take notes girls.
My favourite pieces from the collection had to be the asymetrical tangerine polka dot garden dress with the thigh-high slit, confusing us to whether it was sexy or sweet? I also adored the high-waisted jeans paired with a high-neck gardenia print blouse and finally, the look worn by Bella Hadid, a blush feathered coat with a denim mini. Love.
I'm sure you're all wondering why a lot of designers this season have been showing more for the winter collections than for the summer. I think a reason for this is that designers are now adapting their brands to their personal style tendencies, avoiding the conformity of trends, perhaps for the best.
As I said in a previous post, I think fashion is now being understood as a language in itself due to non-conformist paths and risks designers are now taking in order to assert their unique marks on the industry.
Note: I do not own any of these images, Courtesy of Vogue.com







No comments:
Post a Comment